Thursday, September 26, 2013
Financial Final Reflections
In looking at the coursework I think back to a statement made in the
first course of the superintendents program and in one of my meetings with Dr.
Creel – the school finance class will be the hardest class you will take in the
program. I whole heartedly agree! The assignments were challenging but also
very informative and I truly feel like I have some knowledge in the world of
school finance. I can carry on a
conversation about school funding and how it has changed due to the first
week’s assignments that covered the history of school finance in Texas. I stand by my response in the first
assignment – I still believe that we are living in an era of education that
will be studied in the near future by a new crop of Lamar students seeking
certification. I can have a conversation
about how the funding formula has not kept up with the times and the districts
across the state are finding themselves struggling to find ways to make ends
meet. In our district I was able to
actually start a conversation with our superintendent about the fact that almost
ten years ago before the lowering of the tax rates, the PISD board did not
think long term and we are now missing out on funding due to the fact that they
did not raise the tax rate to the maximum $1.50 allowed. In week 2 it was eye opening to learn about a
goal driven budget and to know that I was not 100% certain what the goals of
the board were – making it next to impossible to have a goal driven
budget. Also the time line that is
followed in the budget process helped make me aware of the time lines and the
needs of the budget officer employed by our district. My favorite assignments included the
comparison of the two districts. Being
able to look at the same set of standards and seeing the differences that helped
make one district financially more stable helped me to realize that as I begin
the process of applying for superintendent’s jobs, I need to pay careful
attention to the information provided on the TEA website – both academically
and financially. I finally understand
the acronyms of ADA and WADA! Now when I
took money with the budget officer and she continues to harp on our student
attendance, I understand the difference it can make in the financial health of
the district. Finally, the discussion of
the differentiated staffing forced me to think outside the box and ways that we
might be able to benefit from the “new” old idea. I think we are definitely working on an
example of differentiated staffing with the use of our secondary teachers as
part of our elementary RTI process.
Overall, while this may have been the most difficult class, I think it
is also one of my favorites and one that I feel like I really learned something
that I did not feel like I had a clue about.
The journey to get more information concerning school finance will
continue – but at least it has started!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment