2010 TEA Budget Guidelines
Since I have little budgeting
experience, I was looking for some help online.
I actually found the TEA Guidelines.
It made things clear to me and I thought I had to share it! I went so far as to post it on the discussion
board. Then I started the third
assignment and realized that this was actually the resource needed and it was
already a part of the class resources.
The good news is – I really liked this resource!
I started reading with the
different budget processes. I realized
very quickly that our budget here was created using the Line-Item Budget
Process. I read the disadvantages closely
and realized that I could see each of the following in our district.
1. I have not heard as much long term discussion
in our district as I have in some of the others.
2. Without the long term discussion, there is
little need for planning. Without this
planning, some issues that are minor and could be prevented are not looked
at. These smaller issues can then become
larger issues that cost the district more money.
3. I have also noticed people trying to spend
their money with the following rationalization, “I don’t want them to cut my
budget next year since I didn’t use it all this year.” Unfortunately, this happened in order for
people to be worried about it.
I enjoyed the discussion of
the different budget types and would like to visit with school that may be
employing something other than the Line-Item Budget. I would like to see what benefits the
district had seen and what had lead to the district switching to something new
in the first place.
Reading
the legal requirements and the district requirements helped clear up some of my
questions. It also lead to a conversation
with my site supervisor, our superintendent, about our process and how our
process this year worked. The discussion
of the calendar, the annual revenue, and the annual expenditures all began to
make sense to a point that I felt like I could contribute in a discussion of
school budget planning. This may be one
of the top resources that we have been provided in our classes and I plan on
having a written copy and a bookmark so that it is available when needed.
No comments:
Post a Comment