Sunday, June 23, 2013


Troy Parton, Superintendent of Paducah ISD
The Interview

After interviewing our superintendent here in Paducah, Troy Parton, I have come to the conclusion that the reason he and I work so well together is that we share a very similar philosophy on many of the topics addressed.  I feel like we each have a sounding board and have the ability to play devil’s advocate when discussing the different paths to improvement.  Although we do work well together, we both have our own opinions – which we are not afraid to share – and should voice those opinions.  Troy did not hire me to be a “yes man”.  It is my duty and obligation to voice concerns or contradictions when I disagree.  Our students are the benefactors in this working relationship. 
I would first like to combine two questions into one – what are the positives/negatives of being in a leadership position.  A part of the positives includes being aware of what is going on in the different areas of education at our school.  According to Troy, “You get to see the whole puzzle where others may only see the pieces.”  You also have the opportunity to impact your students and staff as you set the standards to be met within the district.  On the negative side, you have those who may not see the same vision for the school and growth.  Troy commented, “When people do not believe change is necessary to get a different result, I question their motive for teaching.”  In two years of being a campus leader, I have discovered that those who have not taught anywhere other than Paducah are more obstinate when it comes to change.  Those of us who have a more varied employment are normally more accepting and welcoming to trials and changes.  In a time when education is at a technological cross roads, change is inevitable and the leader who manages those changes to minimize the discomfort of his/her staff will find success more easily. 
The next question that I feel like is a priority in our district at the moment deals with developing a shared vision for the district.  The answer to that question is time.  “I spend time visiting with the principal, counselor, teachers and community members to find out what is important to them.”  Time is the most valuable thing we can give anyone – it tells them that they matter, they are important – for we can never get that time back.  Troy added, “In a small community, volunteers are severely overworked, so I try to compile and summarize to take the busy work out of the visioning process.”  When we value the time of others, they are more likely to continue to volunteer to help when called upon.  By trying to compile these ideas from many different sources and meetings, Troy does a great job of moving the group forward while maximizing the time spent on task. 
The question dealing with the Board/Superintendent relationship was especially intriguing to me.  Troy’s response to this question was much like the last question – it centers around time.  “Time… time in meetings, visiting individually, at workshops and conferences, in vehicles traveling – all of this time spent together helps to build a strong relationship built on honesty and trust.  Allow the board member to talk, give them the power and the tools necessary to get what they want from serving on the board.”  These relationships with board members are not any different than the relationships we cultivate with our staff and students or even in our personal lives.  Again, giving people time tells them that they are important and they matter.
One of my weaknesses in my mind deals with the management of the budget.  When I asked Troy about the management of the budget and technology applications, his answer did not surprise me – probably because it is a fairly common truth in principle.  “Money.  Unfortunately money drives every decision that is made in education – from the number of staff to the replacement or upgrade of technology.”  As we discussed the question more, he informed me of how they try to keep the district on budget.  Where I have used a simple spreadsheet for myself or for my program budgets, Troy told me the secret behind the district business manager and himself keeping PISD from over spending.  “We monitor expenses monthly using an online, up to the minute system that tracks spending as wells budget percentages.”  With these new tools, districts should be more easily able to stay on target with budget expenditures for the school year.
The final question that I felt like offered me insight into the role of the superintendent dealt with the management of facilities.  “I walk inside and out of the building making notes of things in need of repair.  Major items like carpet or painting are easy.  It’s the smaller, more detailed requests that are more troublesome.  I am not vey good with these small, detailed items in need of repair.”  Even in a school district our size – with only one campus – it is difficult to keep an eye on everything that needs some type of fixing up.  Troy related the fact that for the last few years he has tried to create a position that would over see the maintenance department and the upkeep of the school.  “Bringing leadership out in others is difficult when they do not want to lead.”  With a small district, we do not have an abundance of applicants for employment.  Trying to find someone to lead the maintenance department has proven to be a difficult, near impossible task.  We have had to rely on the teachers to keep us apprised of repairs that needed to be made in their rooms.  Troy ended with, “I believe the difficulty may be in finding those willing and capable of leading within the plant maintenance arena.  Once you find them, you can work more on developing them.”
All of these responses, and the others that were not discussed in this reflection, will help give me a start in building the base for me to use in transfer learning.  As a coach, I have been leading students for years.  I can apply the transfer learning theory to the fact that I had to convince 10-14 teenagers that they were capable of more than they ever thought – just like Troy trying to convince teachers that change was a part of growth.  Troy tried to take the ideas from district stake holders in order to help facilitate a development of a district’s vision.  I can use that, along with my experience creating a team that had one mission, and apply the transfer theory of learning.  Building relationships with a team – building a relationship with board members… it is the same concept.  Time is the key factor.  I have my dealings in managing my program’s budget to apply the transfer learning to in preparation for managing district resources.  In his discussion of maintaining facilities, Troy discussed finding someone willing to lead and “coaching” them up.  The transfer theory applies here in that as a coach you have to find people who are capable and willing to lead and then give them the tools they need to do so.  All of this discussion will be something that I can look back on and help build towards becoming not just a campus leader, but a district leader.
Finally, Troy’s last bit of advice is one that also allows for transfer of learning.  “You can never hate to large of a network.  Learn who is best with a particular program or subject and do not be afraid to ask for help.  Superintendent’s are former teachers and most still enjoy sharing knowledge or the knowledge of where to get it with others.”  As a teacher and coach, we find ourselves doing the same thing as we want to grow in our field.  We cannot lose that thirst for improvement and knowledge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment